Officine Panerai was founded in Florence in 1860 as a workshop, shop and watchmaking school. The family business became a longstanding supplier of precision instruments to the Italian Navy, particularly for its special underwater corps. Designs developed during this time such as the Luminor and Radomir watch were protected by military secret for many years.
Officine Panerai now designs and produces its own movements and watches at its factory in Neuchâtel, Switzerland, combining Italian history and design with fine Swiss craftsmanship. One constant feature of Panerai watches has been their exclusivity, to this day they are only sold through a network of watch specialists and in Panerai boutiques.